Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Kitchen Aid Mixer & Other Good Gifts

Monday marked the first day of Winter break. The kids were home from school, Bruce was home from work and I, well I was just plain home. Bruce is taking two weeks of vacation. Sort of a use it or lose it policy with Ernst & Young. So truely, the Crow family, will be enjoying a Family Winter Break!

Monday also marked the arrival of my early Christmas present....my long awaited Kitchen Aid Mixer! Nearly 15 years of waiting. The blessed mixer arrived on my door step by a man in blue and orange...the FedEx guy. Like a kid I anxiously open the box and pull out the shiny black Artisan mixer. I dreamed of the delicatable goodies soon to be whipped up. Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Sugar Cookies, Gingerbread and Molasses Cookies. Oh and bread. Think of the breads I could make!

I decide the inaugural batch will be chocolate chip cookies. It's American, it's traditional, it's what I want to make as gifts for our children's friends at church and it's a favorite.

Oh my...this is easy! Creaming the butter, sugar and eggs is a breeze. The flour and other powder ingredients blend in a snap. Even the chocolate chips are no match for this beast. The dough...oh the dough is so smooth and tasty. I'd say one of the best I'd ever made. Bruce was even seduced by it's charms and had a finger full or two.

After the cookies are snugly tucked into the oven I begin the clean up process. Putting all the ingredients away, placing the dirty measuring cups in the sink and wiping down the counter and my new mixer. "Look at this white powder all over my mixer!" I exclaim to no one in particular. "I should have known a black mixer would show all the flour dust. Oh well. I am so much happier with this black one than the standard white mixer. It's not as bland."

"Jennifer", Bruce chimes in, "If I were to describe you, bland would not be the word I used."

Not missing a beat Andrew said "No. Beautiful is the word I would use to describe you Mommy."

Wow. I thought my gift had arrived at the front door hours earlier. Apparently it had been sitting in my kitchen all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment