Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ice Days and Cookies


It's 5:32 am and the official call just came in. No school....we have an ice day! I'm not sure one can be as excited about ice as one is about snow...but none the less, my kids will be thrilled. Me, well let's just say my time sensitive errands will have no wait. Namely sending out packages to friends and family. My apologies go out to those of you whose holidays may not be complete without my gifts. I really, really wanted to have this done on Friday but something came up...Saturday too. Sunday was a day of rest. Monday again something came up...something about school closing early? And today only maniacs and medics will be on the roads and since I believe myself neither I will be Home.

Home creating memories my children will carry with them their entire lives.

That was a line I heard on the radio several days ago that has been sinking into my psyche. It's what caused me to pull out the flour, sugar, vanilla, eggs, and chocolate chips yesterday when I heard school was letting out early. I imagined my eager boys bursting into the house full of expectant energy. School was out early and they needed something fun to do. One memory making experience coming right up.

We made giant chocolate chip cookies. You know the kind. The ones you find sitting oh so tempting at the sides of cash registers at places like Noodle & Co. and Pei Wei. The ones that kids beg for and parents secretly want. Well we made those.

Today our memory making adventure will be wrapping each cookie in cellophane, tying a ribbon around it's plump face and making a gift tag for each one. If the weather holds maybe we could bundle up and visit our neighbors with some early Christmas cheer.

What memories will you be making today?

1 comment:

  1. Hello Crow family! I'm so glad Deon keeps tabs on all of us for each other. I have just opened your blog and haven't read much yet, but I had to say 'Hi' and I love that version of "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen". Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete