Saturday, February 28, 2009

A quiet house

My house is oddly quiet. All five of us are home. The tv is off and no one is in the office playing on computers. The Wii is not on nor is any music. All hand held games are tucked away in the electronics drawer. With all electrical entertainment turned off or put away what is it my family is doing at 8:00pm on a Saturday night?

One child, my oldest, is napping in her room. She is recovering from her 13th birthday sleepover party. From what I heard the girls were up past 3am.

Child number two just finished his bath and is building lego dragons in his room.

Child number three is taking his bath and just called to have a towel delivered to him. He is becoming a little of what you might call high maintance.

My husband was sitting next to me looking through his Mormon history research until he hopped up to bring child number three a towel. Now my husband is in the kitchen peeling an orange. Can you believe that is the loudest sound in the house?

I can hear the rain drops hit the window next to me. It's a hollow sound like the drops might contain an ice crystal or two. I can hear the ice tray in the freezer refill with water. Are these the sounds we are supposed to hear when we are raising a family? or should we be hearing chatter and laughter. Sibling scabbles and minor fights?

We do hear the sounds of our children quite often in fact but tonight is not one of them. I think I will enjoy the quiet while it is here because before too long someone will come bounding down those stairs to break the quiet and bring a smile to my face.

1 comment:

  1. How peaceful your story was. Thank you for sharing. I love that song too. My children are just now put to bed. Time to enjoy the quiet until Kent gets home.

    ReplyDelete